Can I Sue My Employer if They Refuse to Pay Me for My Overtime?

Can I Sue My Employer if They Refuse to Pay Me for My Overtime?

Posted By Maher Law Firm || 22-Oct-2015

When your paycheck is smaller than you were expecting, your first reaction is to double check the hours you actually worked against the hours that you were compensated for. Sometimes, incorrect paychecks are the result of payroll errors, which can often be quickly remedied. But what happens when your missing wages and/or hours are unaccounted for?

Overtime and the FLSA

Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), many employees are entitled to overtime if they work more than 40 hours in a week. The premium employers must pay to employees working over time is equal to half of their hourly wage – in other words, employees are entitled to one-and-a-half times their hourly rate of pay for every hour of overtime they work. While not all employees are eligible to earn overtime, and not all employers are obligated to pay it, there are unfortunately plenty of incidences where employers will attempt to avoid paying what is legitimately owed to an employee. In these cases, an individual may have cause to file a wage and hour lawsuit.

A wage and hour lawsuit could involve any of the following:

  • An employer forces you to work through required meal and rest breaks
  • An employer does not provide adequate time for breaks on long shifts
  • An employer fails to compensate you for the overtime you worked
  • An employer does not provide all necessary information on your pay stubs
  • An employer falsifies time clock information

If you think that you may have grounds to file a wage and hour lawsuit, get in touch with the Maher Law Firm as soon as possible. We have over four decades of experience handling these types of cases and know what it takes to achieve a successful outcome. We may be able to help you recover the money you are rightfully owed and hold your employer accountable for operating illegally.

To speak with an Orlando employment law attorney from the Maher Law Firm, please call our office today at (855) 338-0720. We offer free consultations!

Categories: Wage and Hour Law
Blog Home